Neil Portus | CFA, CMA
Verified Expert in Finance
Neil is a CFO for growth companies and a former equity analyst at Goldman Sachs in NY where he helped lead numerous transactions including Zipcar's $1.1 billion IPO. He was also an equity analyst at Barclays Capital & Lehman Brothers and began his career at a boutique investment bank (M&A, restructuring, debt financings). He's built his operational skills both as a startup founder and as the CFO of an East Africa-focused impact investment firm.
GS Research Report
CFO | Advisor
- Retained by early stage and growth companies to provide CFO and financial advisory services. The core industry focus was on consumer, hospitality, retail, and tech.
- Advises companies as a CFO through their entire capital raising (equity and debt) and M&A processes: create investor presentations and financial models, lead due diligence efforts, negotiate terms, and close on transactions.
- Leads all the financial activities of the company and manage the appropriate teams: financial planning and analysis, define KPIs, and prepare forecasts, budgets, and operating plans.
- Develops financial reporting cadence and make presentations to internal decision makers—board of directors, C-Suite, and senior management.
- Formulates and executes on corporate development initiatives.
- Manages external relationships with strategic partners, investors, and investment banks.
- Serves as a personal vehicle to seed startups.
Unity Development Group
- Worked for UNITY which was the consortium lead for the world-class American group of companies that was in consideration for the $4 billion Central Corridor Railroad (CCR) project in East Africa in order to provide Tanzania, DRC, Uganda, Rwanda, and Burundi with efficient market access to accelerate regional social and economic prosperity.
- Led the fundraising for a transformative railroad project in East Africa—secured interest for $340 million in equity from private funds and $1.2 billion in debt from the US Export-Import Bank.
- Acted as a strategic partner to the CEO and COO.
- Drove the firm financial planning and analysis and oversaw cash management in order to meet operational targets.
- Prepared and communicated weekly financial summary to the C-Suite.
- Coordinated tax and audit filings for the US and foreign subsidiaries.
Vice President, Global Investment Research
Goldman, Sachs & Co.
- Acted as the lead equity research analyst covering the rental car and small cap casino sectors—companies under coverage included Avis, Dollar Thrifty, Hertz, Ameristar Casinos, Pinnacle Entertainment, and Penn National Gaming.
- Helped to lead Zipcar's $1.1 billion IPO while covering the rental car sector.
- Handled team coverage responsibilities for the gaming, gaming technology, lodging, cruise, and restaurant sectors.
Vice President, Equity Research
Barclays Capital & Lehman Brothers
- Initiated Lehman's equity research coverage of IGT (international game technology) and the gaming technology sector.
- Handled team coverage responsibilities for the gaming, lodging, leisure, cruise, and toy sectors.
- Promoted to vice president.
Investment Banking Associate
US Bancorp Libra | Libra Securities
- Closed 15 transactions totaling $1.3 billion; directly reporting to the managing director at a boutique investment bank founded by Drexel Burnham Lambert and Salomon Brothers veterans.
- Worked on a variety of deals spanning M&A, bankruptcy, restructuring, fairness opinion, valuation analysis as well as high yield and mezzanine financings.
- Led buyer diligence visits.
- Drafted investor materials.
- Constructed LBO models.
- Promoted to associate.
Certified Management Accountant (CMA) in Accounting
Institute of Management Accountants - Montvale, NJ, USA
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) in Finance
CFA Institute - Charlottesville, VA, USA
Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Finance
Moore School of Business at the University of South Carolina - Columbia, SC, USA
Bachelor of Science in Recording Industry Management
Middle Tennessee State University - Murfreesboro, TN, USA